MALC is a consortium of academic and research libraries. Any institution that would like to have access to services offered by MALC and to collaborate with other institutions may join the Consortium. In order to benefit from licensed e-resources, the library should meet the minimum IT requirements: have a global IP address, and adequate bandwidth to access the e-resources.
What are the benefits of MALC membership?
University libraries in Myanmar have not previously worked together in a consortium. Doing so will result in many benefits for the academic and library communities. The main ones are:
- Advancement of education and research by gaining access to the latest quality international scholarly literature;
- Substantial cost-savings through jointly negotiating and licensing e-resources;
- Sharing all kinds of resources – information, human, expertise;
- Increased effectiveness of library services through knowledge-sharing and greater collaboration between the library and faculty and students;
- Strengthened advocacy through speaking with one voice to authorities about the needs of academic libraries;
- Knowledge about new products and services marketed / offered by publishers and other vendors;
- Stronger and more effective staff development – continuous education, training and capacity building;
- The opportunity to develop joint projects and together seek grants and other external funding.